Friday 24 February 2012

Zero Point, Kurseong,W Bengal ( Unexplored Lands)


I used to live in Chennai and always looked forward to summer vacation so I could escape to the hill stations of Tamil Nadu. The peaceful beauty of the mountains and greenery made me wish I could live in a laid-back place instead of the busy city life.
When I got married to an Indian Air Force officer, many of my dreams came true. Being stationed in Kurseong in 2004 was the most memorable year of my life. The scenery and the magical atmosphere made me wake up at 4 AM just to see the sunrise over the snow-covered Himalayas. On clear days, I would spend my mornings sipping coffee and admiring the view of Kanchenjunga. The sight of the swaying conifers and the rainbow over the valleys made time stand still.
Bagora, a town in north Bengal, is perched on a ridge 2,339 meters above sea level. It hasn't been spoiled by tourism like Darjeeling, which is 26km away. Bagora offers a peaceful escape from the chaotic life beyond the valleys. From the Kurseong Air Force Station, which is a short distance from Bagora, you can enjoy the view of the Teesta River flowing through the villages below.
Surrounded by the Himalayan range, you can sit in your home's lawn and enjoy the picturesque view of the snow-covered peaks. The tall conifers and cane plants are home to various birds and mountain squirrels, which you can occasionally see in the early hours.
On weekends, we would go trekking through the green forests of silver fir, oak, pine, and birch. We would explore new trails, discover new viewpoints, and sometimes get lost. We would follow the brook from a nearby waterfall, which served as our only guide, leading us back to a nearby village and then back to our base.
In a place like this, you can truly feel connected to nature. If happiness is influenced by our surroundings, then my time spent here was the happiest of all.


No comments: